VCP7-CMA – Objective 4.2
Disclaimer: These are my notes from taking the 2V0-731 exam. If something doesn’t make sense, please feel free to reach out.
The goal of this objective is to understand approval policies.
Objective 4.2 – Create and Manage Approval Policies
- Create approval policies
- Specify approval policy informationDetermine when approvals should be executed
- Add pre-approval and post-approval levels
- Configure approval forms with defined approvers
- Manage approval policies
- Modify, deactivate, and delete approval policies
Generally approval policies are used when governance is required to manage resources in your environment. They can be assigned to services, catalogue items & Actions within an entitlement. The policy will then be evaluated against all users within that entitlement.
You need to be either a Tenant Administrator or an Approval Administrator to create approval policy. There are two stages that a policy can be configured at:
- Pre-Approval – Approval is required before the requested item is provisioned.
- Post-Approval – Approval is required before the requested item is presented back to the requestor. Approval is not required before provisioning takes place.
Approvals can be configured to require multiple levels of approval. So line manager approval, followed by finance approval.
Conditional approvals can be configured so you don’t need approval for every request. With conditional approvals you can configure the group approval is required from depending on the condition met. As an example, if a VM request includes more than XGB memory – require infrastructure team approval and if a VM request is going to cost more than £Y then require budget holder approval.
The approval can be configured to require all users in a list to approve, or just a single from the list.
The approval can be configured to feed into an ‘Event Subscription’. This is to feed into an external system, e.g. Service Now.
The approvals waiting for a user will show in the ‘Inbox’ when that user logs in. They can be alerted to the approval by email as well.